I had a holiday request from my man for some cookies to satisfy his sweet tooth, so naturally I had to deliver. Instead of the classic chocolate chip cookies I always make, I decided to get into the holiday spirit. I decided on gingerbread cookies, but instead of the classic molasses in the recipe, I swapped out pomegranate molasses for a sweet and sour twist. Sticking to the pomegranate version, I topped each cookies with a little buttercream colored with pomegranate juice and garnished with fresh pom seeds and chopped candied ginger. They're a bright and vibrant cookie that will definitely win at your holiday cookie swap.
Yield: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling and cooling time
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, plus chilling and cooling time
For the Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
For the Frosting:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
Pinch kosher salt
Chopped crystallized ginger
Flake sea salt
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the pomegranate molasses and egg and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and beat until a smooth dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon-sized balls and roll each between your hands. Place the granulated sugar in a small bowl and toss each ball of dough in the sugar to coat. Working in 2 batches, bake the cookies with 8 balls of dough on each tray, 2-inches apart, until spread and golden, 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the frosting ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Smear a bit of frosting on each cookie and top with pomegranate seeds, crystallized ginger, lime zest and flake salt, then serve.