Tahini Rainbow Cookies
Ok, so I decided after I made my Passover chocolate caramel tart a few weeks back, that I was going to need a second recipe. Two seders, two desserts. Every year, I have to step up my flourless sweets game, and you know I love the challenge. After a healthy gift of a few jars of Seed+Mill tahini, I knew I wanted to make something using this ingredient. Et voila, tahini rainbow cookies, swapping jam for this creamy sesame paste.
I decided to go au naturale this year and skip on using food coloring. Instead, matcha powder and ground hibiscus color the layers, while adding a punch of flavor to these cookies. The earthiness of the matcha combines with tart hibiscus and rich tahini for the perfect rainbow cookie. Give 'em a try and you'll see for yourself.
Tahini Rainbow Cookies
Yield: 35 cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus cooling and chilling time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling and chilling time
2 sticks unsalted soft butter, plus more for greasing
3 1/2 cups almond flour
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
8 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons ground matcha
2 teaspoons ground hibiscus
3/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 3 quarter sheet pans with butter and line with parchment paper. Whisk the almond flour, confectioners' sugar and salt in a bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. With the motor running, slowly add dry ingredients into wet until batter forms.
- In a separate bowl and using clean beaters, beat the egg whites to medium peaks, then fold into the batter. Divide the batter between 3 bowls. To one bowl, stir in the matcha into one bowl and stir in the hibiscus in another.
- Spread each bowl evenly into the prepared pans. Bake until risen and firm, 15 minutes. Let the layers cool and invert onto a cutting board, then peel and discard parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini with the honey. On one of the sheet pans, place the purple layer. Spread half of the tahini mixture evenly over it, then place the white layer and spread the remaining tahini mixture. Top with the green mixture.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil. Stir until smooth. Spread half the chocolate layer evenly over the rainbow cookies and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
- Invert the cookies and spread the remaining chocolate evenly on the bare side. Return to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and trim the edges. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares. Transfer to a platter and serve.